Did you know there are natural solutions for most cases of chronic headaches? Over the past 30 years, I have helped thousands of patients feel better and have their headaches, even migraines, resolve.
The first step is to determine the root cause. Usually it’s either a physical-structural cause and/or chemical, such as a food sensitivity or nutritional deficiency.
Some time ago, a patient brought in her 10-year-old daughter who was complaining of headaches, fatigue, irritability, mood swings, and lack of focus. She had been to her pediatrician and other specialists but still no relief.
After a comprehensive evaluation and ordering more detailed lab tests, I discovered that she had an iron deficiency. With proper nutritional supplements and diet recommendations, her symptoms soon resolved.
For others, food sensitivities to gluten or other foods can be a source of their headaches. I have seen patients who have had headaches for many years have them resolved after testing and finding out what their trigger foods were and then eliminating them from their diets.
Often, food reactions can cause chronic sinusitis, another source of headaches.
In other patients, I have discovered low thyroid function or other hormone imbalances to be a source of their headaches.
Chemical sensitivities can cause headaches as well, such as from drinking diet soda. With all the information out there about aspartame causing headaches, this should be an easy one for a lot of people.
Speaking of soda, dehydration can cause headaches. Are you getting enough pure water? A general guideline, although this varies among individuals, is to drink half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 140 pounds, then 70 ounces (about 8 cups) of water per day is recommended.
As far as physical or structural causes, tension headaches (myogenic) from tight muscles in the head and neck are one of the most common causes of headaches. I often find myofascial trigger points or “knots” in the muscles of the head, TMJ, neck, and shoulders.
Cervicogenic headaches are from dysfunctional or irritated spinal joints in the neck and are another common cause. Gentle adjustments to the spine along with the treatment to the muscles often brings significant and lasting relief.
Causes of muscle tension and cervicogenic headaches can include trauma, as in car accidents or other injuries. Sometimes the headaches don’t show up till days or even weeks after the injury.
Another cause of headaches is postural stress, as in sitting in front of a computer for 8+ hours a day, and then using your Smart Phone or Tablet for another 4 hours!
Or for instance, I recently saw an elementary school student who weighed 55 pounds and his backpack weighed 38 pounds! Do you think he had poor posture, back pain and headaches? With some treatment and backpack extraction, he was better in no time!
After treating thousands of patients over the past 30 years, I have found that the most effective treatment for headaches and pain is a multifaceted, 7-point approach.
I call it my Health Transformation Program and it includes:
- Active Release Techniques, which is an advanced type of myofascial release or manual therapy, to reduce pain producing myofascial trigger points, adhesions and fibrous tissue, and to restore muscular balance.
- Gentle chiropractic adjustments to restore normal joint function and movement and reduce nerve irritation that can cause headaches. Instead of manual manipulation (cracking your neck or back), I use a computerized instrument called the Impulse. This is a very advanced, gentle and precise way to reduce pain and restore motion to joints.
- Super Pulsed Laser therapy to reduce pain and inflammation, and enhance microcirculation to promote healing.
- Therapeutic functional training exercises and vibration training to improve strength, flexibility, balance and posture to help prevent symptoms from returning.
- Coaching on Lifestyle Modifications such as what type of exercise to do, stress relief activities, proper sleep habits, and even the use of infrared sauna if needed.
- A personalized nutrition program based on lab testing to see what deficiencies or imbalances can be corrected to help you feel better and transform your health. General recommendations include nutritional supplements such as Magnesium Glycinate/Malate, Ultra Pure Fish Oil, Vitamin D and and an herbal remedy called Inflame Support to help enhance recovery and aid the healing process.
- A specific diet that can reduce inflammation and enhance healing. I call this The FreeDiet™as it is free of the most common food allergens and can help you become free of pain, fatigue, fogginess and fat.
I have found this program to be very effective for eliminating headaches once and for all.
Feel free to share this information, and if you have any questions, or would like our assistance and visit a chiropractor for headaches, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 561-627-5800. We would be happy to help!
Yours for Optimal Health,
Dr. Tom Rofrano