Many well designed research studies show no advantages for lumbar surgery versus conservative treatment for low back pain or sciatica.
While a very small percentage of patients, such as those with progressive neurological deficits or loss of bowl or bladder function need surgery, most with herniated discs can improve with a conservative treatment program.
We have seen similar results here at the Natural Medicine Clinic as we have helped thousands of patients with cervical, thoracic and lumbar herniated discs and sciatica recover fully without ever needing surgery.
Our holistic treatment program includes:
1. Using a cold laser to reduce pain and inflammation, and enhance microcirculation to promote healing.
2. Active Release Techniques, which is a type of manual therapy, to reduce pain producing myofascial trigger points, adhesions and fibrous tissue, and to restore muscular balance.
3. Chiropractic adjustments to restore normal joint function and movement. We use manual spinal manipulation or a computerized instrument called the Impulse.
4. Physical therapy functional training exercises and vibration training to improve strength, flexibility and balance.
5. Nutritional supplementation, such as Boswellia, Ginger, White Willow Bark, and EPA/DHA, to help support recovery and aid the healing process.
We have found this program to be very effective in the non-surgical treatment and healing of herniated discs, radicular syndromes and sciatica.
Yours for optimal health,
Dr. Tom Rofrano
Leave a Reply